Monday, January 7, 2013

ONEderful Mara...


Dear Mara,

On Saturday, we celebrated with our families as you turned one.  If the computer would allow me to, I would post a whole bunch of pictures of how much fun you had as you opened your presents and dove into your pink snowflake cake.  I'll keep working on it, because you were adorable.  All day I kept looking at you and wondering how it was possible that it had been a whole year since we first got to meet you. 

The timing of your birth was a surprise to us, as we were working and planning to get you here one week later than you determined to be the appropriate time for your birthday.  And, let me tell you, sweet girl...you continue to call the shots at our house, and keep us on our toes with your surprises that seem to be new each day.  But, just as I was on the night that you were born, I am ever grateful for the chance to be your Mommy.

Mara, you have completed our family in such a special way.  Before you were even a twinkle in our eyes, I told your Daddy that I was feeling in my heart that someone was missing from our family.  And, as it turned out, you certainly were.  But on January 5, 2012, you made our family whole.  And I can't even remember what it was like before you got here.  You are so loved.  So wanted.  So marvelled over.  I can't even find the words to tell you the love that just spills out of my heart for you.  I am continually overwhelmed by it, and blessed by it all at the same time.

You are growing to be a very sweet, but very spirited little girl.  What you lack in size, you make up for in personality.  Being third in line, you have learned to stand up for what you want very early in your life, and although I wish your brother and sister would always be mindful of you and your desires, I guess it's only natural that they wouldn't quite grasp the concept at 6 and 3.  But I secretly love to see you stand your ground with them--- and I especially love that they respect your boundaries when you make your wishes known.  I hope that you'll always be a woman who can respectfully and kindly state your wishes and opinions and be listened to.  You are the best snuggler ever and often give me hugs and kisses, followed quickly by an adorable grin because I think you know how much I love to be on the receiving end of your loving.  You are quite an eater and haven't turned your nose up at anything yet, except for the milk that I have been trying to convince you is just as good as Mommy's.  It seems you aren't buying what I am selling because you've been hanging on to at least 4 nursing sessions each day- sometimes only for a few minutes, and other times like it's still your only source of nutrition.  Sadly, on top of these four are at least two more feedings through the night that I am having trouble figuring out whether they are more for comfort or to fill up your tummy.  Regardless, I know our time is coming to an end, and although I will miss it, I also long for a good night's sleep and for some good rest for you as well.  Because as much as I love snuggling with you in the rocker at night, I know we'll both be a whole lot better for sleeping an entire night in our own beds one of these days.  You should try it....I am sure you'll like it.  :o)

You are developing a really sweet relationship with your brother and sister.  From the moment Lauren met you, she has always wanted to hold you.  She often says that she "loves her baby", and then she'll give you a squeeze, to which you always smile.  You absolutely light up when Joshua talks to you.  Although he isn't quite as interested in holding you, he interacts with you with such sweetness that it melts my heart.  I pray that you will always love Joshua and Lauren this way.  The greatest gift you all have is each other, and I count it among our greatest blessings that we were able to give you two siblings who love you so.

I will never tire of seeing your sweet face as I come in the door at the end of a day at the office, or the memories that I hold in my heart of your baby giggles or the way you immediately relax when I sing to you.  You are such a gift, Mara.  I treasure you and I love you more than words could ever explain.

Tears were streaming down my cheeks as I read your birthday book to you on Saturday night, "On The Night You Were Born".  Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn, on the beautiful, magical night you were born.  It sure did, sweetheart.

With all my love,
Mommy

* Whenever I figure out why I can no longer pull pictures off of my camera onto the blog, I will post birthday pictures from Mara's party.  But this little walk down memory lane was fine with me too...

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I love reading your posts because it is SO obvious how very, very, very much you love your kids. It melts my heart. Oh how I hope you are able to sleep through the night asap! (((hugs))) Ian was more than a year old when that happened so I know what it's like, but Oliver has already been sleeping through the night for two months and I can't imagine going through that again like I did with Ian. Bless you. Oh and as for posting pics, I have had a hard time also the last couple of days. I found if I click on "html" that I can upload pics (and then I go back to "compose" mode). Hopefully whatever the glitch is, they (blogger) will fix it soon. I was thinking it was just me until I read your post.