Monday, July 22, 2013

There it went...again.


I really had one goal this weekend--- to get the kids OUT OF THE HOUSE!  Last week's heat wave was enough to give everyone a case of a bad attitude.  And by Saturday morning, I had already had more than I could take of the disobedience and the squabbling.  And it was all due to the fact that the kids had been cooped up far too long.  So I did what any good mother would do.
 
I took them to Target.  There were a few things on my list that I needed there, and I thought that it was worth a shot to impact their behavior with a change of scenery, even if it was to buy things like a new water cup, garbage bags and conditioner.  I was partly successful in resetting the kids.  And the other portion of our success in changing their behavior might possibly have had something to do with threatening them within an inch of their lives if they didn't shape up.  Hard to say.
 
Jason and I got to enjoy another night out on Saturday night.  It was spontaneous- something we aren't really good at anymore, although we used to be better than we are now.  But Jen was available to stay with the kids and we took advantage of the opportunity to sneak away.  We went to the Turkey Hill Brew Pub and had a great meal.  I even (gasp) drank 3/4 of a beer.  Jason will be quick to point out to you that I milked it, and took over 2 hours to finish one beer, but I would like it to be noted that this was the first beer I have had to drink in.........well..........long enough that I can't really say when it was.  It was probably before Joshua was born.  It was a sad state of affairs.  But our dinner was awesome.  We ended up heading home earlier than we expected, but it was still nice to be out two weekends in a row.
 
Sunday, after church, we packed up the kids and headed to Knoebels for the afternoon/evening.  I don't know whether Disney had us park'ed out or what, but it just hasn't been high on the priority list to get to Knoebels this summer.  But the kids had been asking, so we figured we'd take advantage of the cooler temperatures and have some fun.  The kids loved riding the rides.  We find ourselves, though, in the first situation where we have one child who is way too big for the kiddie rides, while the others are still too small for bigger rides.  Joshua was a real trooper, indulging his sisters while they rode things he had no interest in.  He did ride a few of the smaller rides as a chaperone to Mara, who we weren't certain would remain seated or heed the straps that kept her in the ride.  Luckily, she was pretty good on the rides, but there were a few moments of uncertainty on a few of the rides where she looked concerned, and it appeared as though she might just try to climb out.
 
Joshua's highlight of the night was his first ever ride on the Phoenix.  I won't lie-- I was a complete basket case about him going on the huge roller coaster.  I believe the woman who just fell out of the one in Texas may have caused my concern, but Jason assured me that he would hold on to him tightly.  When they came off the ride, Joshua declared that it was "AWESOME!"  He also enjoyed the Haunted Gold Mine and the Haunted House.  He insisted on riding the frog hopper, but looked like he was going to cry the whole time he was on it.  He was fine when he got off, but I don't think that will be on his list of favorites.
 
Knoebels is best shared in pictures, so here you go...

 










We brought home three filthy, tired kids.  But I guess that was the point.  Weekends are going by awfully quickly these days, but then again, so is the whole summer.  We hope yours was as great as ours was.

No comments: