Thursday, October 3, 2013

In which I laughed like crazy, and cried.



It has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster here this morning.

Before I left the house, I had made breakfast for the girls.  We were all sitting at the island talking and eating our scrambled eggs (theirs plain with just a splash of vanilla, just like Grandma Mary used ot make them for me, and mine egg beaters with a spoonfull of salsa mixed in...my newest breakfast obsession).  Before I left, I peeked at a few blogs I enjoy from time to time and found myself quite amused with a post I read about eggs.  Maybe it is my own grocery shopping neuroses that made this funny for me, but if you're like me maybe you actually have wondered about why some eggs are "special" or the "best" or somehow "healthier" than their other egg friends on the shelf.  And if you are a neurotic grocery shopper like I am, then maybe we should have a chat with our neatly organized grocery shopping bags to discuss it.  The web address is boomama.net and just look for the post about the eggs.  I can't link to it here for some reason.

And so, that was the laughs.

So then I get in the van to head for the office, and turn on CNN for the ride.  Say what you will about me listening to CNN, but it is sometimes the only opportunity I have to learn about what is going on in the world.  These days everything has been about the government shut down, and the Affordable Care Act, both of which impact my business to a degree.  But all I do when I listen to information about either of those issues is get angry about the fact that our elected officials are misbehaving worse than children at recess.  And I think that THEY....first....should be the ones whose pay is suspended while they decide how we can all play nicely together.  But I suppose the three or thirty million dollars that they already have sitting in the bank would limit the effectiveness of that kind of decision.  But still.

So, I was all prepared for my blood pressure to rise this morning.  And instead, as I got onto Route 80, I heard a story about a little girl who is 10 years old and her father who is in the final stages of his life.  Knowing that he would likely not live to walk his little girl down the aisle at her wedding, he held a special ceremony for her at his hospital bedside, complete with a pastor.  He gave his daughter a special ring that she is to wear on her ring finger until the day she gets married.  Her promise to her Dad was that she would find a good man to marry.  And he promised that he would give his blessing as long as she did that, no matter where he was at the time.  And right there...my eye makeup was toast for the day.  I normally have that problem with country music making me cry-- ask Jason about our attendance at the Darius Rucker/Lady A concert a year or so ago when I was a sobbing mess during the song about "It Won't Be Like This For Long" when Mara was just a little baby, or the Martina McBride concert we attended where I used my scarf to wipe tears during "In My Daughter's Eyes".  But I wasn't expecting that out of CNN.

The whole point of this for me was that I hope today I can just take each moment I am in and count it a blessing.  Even the hard stuff.  Even the stuff that nearly brings me to my knees.  Even when I screw up or have a heavy burden to carry.  I hope that perspective helps you too.  And if not, that at least the eggs make you smile.

No comments: