Sunday, April 26, 2015

Where the highlights are few and far between.

Do you know what shuts down the plans of a nice spring weekend like nobody's business?

Strep throat. 

Before early Friday morning when Joshua became victim #1, I had envisioned lots of good things for the weekend.  We had just made it through a tough week while Jason was in Las Vegas for his conference. I had a real hard time with the whole thing because he was so busy and then the three hour time zone difference was a real bugger. He would have a few minutes to talk so we would Face Time for the kids but it left me totally lonely and tired and stressed and missing him by the time he walked in the door on Friday night. 

But instead of anything fun, we spent Friday running to dr appointments because I have seen enough strep throat to call that one when I see it, and also that the wait it out approach would take us to nowhere but misery.  Saturday morning confirmed the result of Friday's swab and I got to get out of the house just long enough to run to...wait for it...CVS to pick up amoxicillin.  It was a thrilling Saturday morning. Nothing like strolling the Arts Festival in Lewisburg as I had hoped.  Or taking the kids to a birthday party they were invited to. Or playing with Cooper and Kinley like we wanted to. 

Saturday evening, just when Joshua was starting to get back to himself after  a few more doses of medicine, Lauren made an ominous annoucement that it hurt when she swallowed. I tried a pre-emptove strike with a dose of Motrin, but her screaming fever led me to a night vigil with her from midnight on. God bless her heart-- she was just miserable. She rested and whimpered as long as I was rubbing her arm. Which was fine except, exhaustion. 

We got up this morning and decided to try out the Careworks Urgent Care in Danville because, well just see above for the part about waiting leading to misery. Mara, Lauren and I headed there and within about an hour and a half were seen, strep tested and verified by a PA. Because two trips to CVS for the same blasted bottle of amoxicillin would just have been more excitement than one Mama should be allowed in the span of 24 hours, we sent Jason to collect the pink medicine while I assumed the position of couch snuggler. I eventually managed to get her to the chair because her fever  was starting to make me think I was in one of those hot yoga classes where you would never in a million years catch me.

The only good news is that I finished two whole books this weekend. If that doesn't tell you how much time I spent sitting with the germ machines, I don't know what will. 


I did manage to cook a yummy dinner of spaghetti and salad and garlic bread, and some homemade apple crisp to use up some apples thst were starting to think about checking out on me.  This effort was negated by a house fire call that had Jason gone from 5:30-9:00. But hopefully it tasted good to the kids.

We now lie in wait for the third and final chip to fall. I feel like once you have two siblings in the same household with positive strep tests, CVS should throw in the third bottle of amoxicillin as a door prize. 

No comments: