Friday, February 13, 2009

The Glamorous Job of Motherhood

Of all the adjectives I might choose to describe the job of being a mom, glamorous isn't one of them. Suddenly, in the last 24 hours, multiple conversations with multiple other mommies who I trust and admire suddenly have rushed to the surface. I sort of feel like I've been set up, if I'm being honest.

Yesterday, on a drive home from Harrisburg for a compliance exam I had to take, Lindsay and I had a conversation about how UNglamorous pregnancy is. How UNglamorous delivery is. How UNglamorous those early weeks with a brand new baby when your body is completely and totally out of whack are. Linds, I'd like to add a line to our conversation.

Let's talk about being a vomit catcher.

I find myself at home today unexpectedly because I spent the night serving the duty of the above. Joshua seems to have come down with the nasty stomach bug that is floating around. And boy do I wish he hadn't. I believe we may have slept for a combined hour or two all night in between episodes. Jason had to srub the ottoman of the rocking chair at one point (SpotBot to the rescue). A load of blankets and pajamas went into the washer at an ungodly hour, and it included our beloved Bear which sparked a whole different dramatic outburst. It is 12:30 and I am sitting in my pajamas without even having brushed my teeth this morning. My clothes may have throw up on them still....frankly, I don't want to know. I'm hesitant to use the time while Joshua is sleeping to jump in the shower for fear the sickness may start all over again and I wouldn't hear him needing me. So.......this part is also NOT glamorous. Not even a little bit.

We've been throw up free all day today (Thank God for answered prayers), but Joshua isn't feeling much like eating. He is drinking a good bit, so I feel like we're lucky in that regard. He was exhausted WAY earlier than normal and fell asleep before I was even half way through The Lorax. Poor little buddy. Hopefully he'll feel a little more like himself when he wakes up.

I think I'll be waiting until Jason gets home to jump in the shower so that I can feel a little more like MYSELF.

1 comment:

Lindsay, Ian and Lila said...

This is certainly not a glamorous day :) If we didn't love it, we wouldn't think about doing it again (you're next!!!!)
Hope the little guy is feeling better.