Sunday, February 1, 2009

One Nighter to Nana & Pap's House







It was a whirlwind Saturday trip to Lewistown, but Joshua and I had a really good time visiting with Nana and Pap, Aunt Libby, Uncle Zig and Baby Brooke. I still can't believe I allowed an entire month to go by since laying my eyes on my gorgeous niece, but it was wonderful to see everyone and spend a quiet day together.

Joshua and I got packed up and hit the road around 9 Saturday morning. Joshua enjoyed "Horton Hears A Who" on the way there and honestly didn't make a peep the whole trip, except to ask for a snack and to point out a gaggle of cows in one of the fields. I never dreamed we'd be "those parents" who allow their kids to watch DVD's on car rides, but I have to tell you...it's been a lifesaver. One trip down 522 with a hysterical toddler (or infant...we did that too) is one too many. We don't use it on short trips, but the hour + ones.....they qualify for additional entertainment privileges.

Soon after we got there, Pappy Fred and Freda popped in for a quick visit. That worked out great because Joshua had been asking me before we left whether or not we'd get to see them. Libby and Brooke arrived shortly after that and we settled in for a nice day together. We had some lunch, I marvelled at how much Brooke had grown in a month, and then we took a little road trip to Burnham to see Libby and Zig's gorgeous remodelling work on their kitchen. It's SOOO nice!

We did have some fun sharing a special surprise with Nana and Pap...more on that to come, I have a feeling.

Since Joshua is now too big for the crib, but too small to sleep unassisted in the big bed, I usually have to sleep in the bed with him. So that meant an early turn in for both of us, but I welcomed some extra rest. Joshua did his best to monopolize the entire BIG bed and I found myself on the edge with no blankets and one leg out of the bed most of the night. I have no idea how a 27 pound person can command an entire queen sized bed like that, but it also solidifies my absolute abandonment of the whole co-sleeping issue. It just isn't for me. Before six, I awoke to two wide-open eyeballs about a half inch from mine whispering, "Mommy? Are you up?" And by 6:20 we had given up on the hope of catching a little more sleep, so we got up, got dressed and went to talk to Nana and Pap downstairs.
We were home by 11 this morning, so we've been catching up with Daddy, unpacking and doing laundry ever since. We've got some yummy burgers to cook up on the grill for the Superbowl tonight, so we're all looking forward to that.
More tomorrow...

No comments: