Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I could get used to this...



Home again today. I'm beginning to think that I could get used to this.


Getting up to make breakfast for Joshua without rushing around and trying to anxiously cross 10 things off of the infamous "to do" list before 7:00 am.

Making a point to do something special with Joshua every day. Like the library yesterday and the mall to throw pennies in the fountain (his request) today. The bonus for me was getting to return some things that have been laying on our spare bed for over 3 weeks. There's just no time for the mall normally.

Having my meal plan AND grocery list finalized on Tuesday for next week so that we can grocery shop when we feel like it this week instead of rushing around like crazy people to finalize a list and get there on Friday afternoon with all of the other crazy people.

Stopping in to the office for 30 minutes to check on things, realizing that everything is 100% under control. Perhaps I am not even being missed.

Working at home for 1 hour this morning on business things while spending the other 7 hours (so far) doing whatever Joshua wanted to. Mostly today it's been reading his library books and playing football.

Spending Joshua's naptime cleaning out dresser drawers in preparation for the great bedroom swap that's upcoming. I'm too embarassed to tell you how many LARGE BLACK LAWN SIZED garbage bags I removed from the premises this afternoon. But let's just say it took several trips down the stairs. All the while, I got to listen to my favorite little snorer sawing logs in his bed, happily dreaming of reading more library books and playing more football when he awakes.

Meatballs cooking in the crockpot for dinner when Jason gets home. No stress. No messy cleanup (did that already).

Laundry caught up. Folded. Put into its rightful place amongst the other clean things. I even managed some ironing.

One to-do list almost completely checked off. There is nothing that makes this Type A Mama happier than that.

If there's one thing I've learned by being a working mom, and I have a feeling all other working moms have as well (for sheer survival) is the value of an hour, or a day...or four. I've often said that I think I could accomplish just about anything with one extra day at home each week. What I used to have to spread over a whole week's time (before Joshua), I can now squeeze pretty successfully into a day, or even a half of a day if the need arises. So I'm not quite sure what to do with myself while home on this unexpected "vacation" of sorts. It appears that this Heaven will continue through Thursday as the plans stand now.

I'm starting to think that I could get used to this.

No comments: