Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Sweetest Thing

I've learned a lesson in the past day or so that I'm not sure I fully appreciated before now. I walked in the house last evening after a very long day at a very difficult meeting. I hadn't gotten a chance to see Joshua before I left at 6:30 am. It was 6:30 pm and I was just walking in the door with aching feet and a serious bathroom need after a trip back across I80 from State College. Joshua came running across the room with the biggest smile on his face and immediately took me to a corner to "show me something". I might add that I was still finishing a phone conversation with Libby when all of this was going on, but he couldn't wait to show me what he had for me.

In the corner was a special birthday present. There were three cards- one Joshua had made, one that he bought at the store (or maybe Daddy did, I'll never know), and one from Jason. There was also a present. The cards stole my heart.....especially when Joshua so proudly gave me the card he had made. He had to interpret what it said inside, and he told me very deliberately while pointing to each section of "artwork" what it said. "Mommy......this says 'I love you' and this says 'Happy Birthday'. These are some heart stickers, and this is a cake I drew." He did the same thing on the purchased card when he explained his "writing" inside of it. I just might keep those cards forever. Jason did a fine job as well, choosing a very sappy card by his standards. He said he tried to find a funny one, but couldn't find one he liked. Such a jokester.

It wasn't even my birthday yet, but I felt so loved. There's not too much sweeter than your child appreciating your birthday and telling you that he loves you. I don't make my parents birthday cards anymore, but I'm beginning to think that it might not be a bad idea, just so they can experience that love like they used to.

So, today I turned 31 years old. Joshua guessed this morning that I was turning 4. Oh, if only he was right. I find birthdays pretty reflective times, and I'm beyond grateful for the joys and blessings in my life. I marvel at the fact that my daughter has learned how to do cartwheels (or what feels like cartwheels) over the last few days. Her movements are a constant reminder of the miracle growing inside of me and how much I love her without ever having had the opportunity to meet her. I'm getting more and more excited about that day as each one passes. We know the joy of Joshua and Jason, and that keeps getting more and more precious to me as well. I don't know what I ever did to deserve all of this, but I think I know Who to thank. And I do so on a pretty regular basis.

On another note, I think it's pretty important to mention a whole bunch of other special July babies who are sharing very close birthdays....

The ultimate is Pappy Fred, who was given ME as a birthday present 31 years ago. I have a feeling he probably was wishing for something different, but I was what he got. I love sharing a birthday with him, and it's always made it special for both of us. There's a little gathering being planned for him on Friday evening. I've always gotten to tag along for the parties for Pap, and that's fine by me. Any chance to spend time with our family is one I'll take.

I also share my birthday with a little boy named Caleb who is turning 1 today. You've probably seen pictures of him on Libby's blog. He's a miracle baby who has been through a whole bunch in his first year of life, not the least of which was an open heart surgery at Geisinger when he was only weeks old. We've prayed and prayed for him, and celebrate his turning 1, even if from afar today.

Other close ones include my cousin Cory's wife, Shannon, who I know checks in here from time to time. We are sharing the experience of our pregnancies this time, as they are expecting their first child just days earlier than we are. It has been such fun to share stories and symptoms and research together with Shannon, and I can't wait to share motherhood as well. So, Happy Birthday to Shannon on July 14th. Incidentally, her baby has also taken up acrobatics this week as well. Looks like we're tracking right on with each other and I love it.

And although I mentioned Miracle Baby Delaney in my last post, who turned one on July 9th, her mommy is one of my dearest friends as well and also has a birthday on July 11th. What I would have done without Karen over the course of my State Farm Agency career I don't know. A long time ago, we got some tacky boot shaped beer mugs at a State Farm event and swore we'd celebrate our birthdays together each July with them. We haven't done that, but I always think about it.

And last but certainly not least is Lila, whose birthday is coming so fast....and I know her mommy hates that! I distinctly recall last July 15th being Lila's "un-birthday" when she wasn't feeling quite ready to share July 15th with me. I know Lindsay was more than ready for her to get here....and any of us who have experienced week 40 of pregnancy can back her up on that one. How a whole year has flown by since all of these special babies were born, I don't know. But I celebrate each one of them right along with my own today.

Sorry that I don't have any new pictures today. I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'm still trying to come down off of the 493 that I printed a few weeks back.....or protect my reputation in town.

Happy Birthday July Babies!

No comments: