Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Just how long does it take...

... to fold a basket of the kids' laundry? Well, if you're me, the answer woukd be from 6:30 until approximately 2:30 yesterday. Ridiculous, isn't it? Lauren has decided that she prefers to be held for a while after she eats, which is fine except that when you do the math there isn't a whole lot of time right now that wouldn't be classified as either eating or directly following eating time. During the day, Lauren is wanting to eat every 2 hours, almost on the nose. She eats for anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes and then wants to be held until she's sufficiently asleep, at which point I can put her down and try to do something. Generally I end up playing with Joshua, washing a dish, filling a sippy cup, emptying a potty chair, answering an email, etc. By the time I'm done with one of those things, we're going again. It's a little overwhelming, but as long as she's growing and healthy, I'm thrilled that this plan is working out. So, it took me over 8 hours to fold a basket of laundry, mostly one handed, and then put it away. Not world record pace, that's for sure.

Other things I've learned to do one handed include making grilled cheese (just try spreading butter on bread without the use of a hand....it isn't pretty), blogging, picking up toys and dusting.

Joshua is adjusting about as well as we can expect him to, I think. He's still having a hard time at night and is waking when Lauren does. It didn't help that she was up this morning from 4:30 until 6:30 with a pretty fussy period from 6:00-6:30 that woke him up. During the day, he's learning to be patient (an awfully tall task when you're almost 3) and to play independently. In between my fits of guilt, I keep telling myself that this is really good for him and that he'll likely not end up with long term damage from not getting what he needs immediately. But I won't lie and tell you that I'm not really struggling with that. He's spending his days doing very imaginative things- like turning our stairs into his garbage truck and painting gorgeous pictures. We unload and load every toy bin at least 3 times a day. We read a lot of stories while Lauren nurses, and he seems to enjoy that time instead of being jealous by it. His naps are non existent, but he's doing fairly well with it. Truthfully, he had started giving them up before she got here, and I think that he really can do without them. We're good for one meltdown around 4:30 every day, but that's the worst of it. The good news is that he's more than ready for bed when the clock strikes 8:30.

So that's the update from these parts. Enjoy a few pictures!

I had to prove that she does wear something OTHER THAN pink. This was the position Lauren was in when Joshua and I left for the grocery store on Saturday morning. It was also the position I found them both in upon our return.


Isn't he handsome in his vest?


Pap enjoying some snuggling time with Lauren while she was happy. Sadly, she took a turn into the bad attitude department when Nana got to hold her, so I don't have any happy Nana and Lauren photos to post.

Nana and Joshua playing the Handy Manny memory game. He LOVES this! We play it at least 5 times a day.







1 comment:

Emily said...

You need to invest in a good sling. I found that to be worth its weight in gold when I had Cooper. They feel like they're held and you have two hands free to do whatever you need to.
Just what worked for me.
We're hoping to see you sometime soon. However, the kids have had the flu. Not something I'm going to be out spreading around.
Give me a call sometime!
Em