Wednesday, November 4, 2009

As good as new...

...or so they say.

It appears that all is back to normal post delivery according to Dr. Miller yesterday at my post partum visit with him. I find it funny, however, that a man would tell me that I'm as good as new when I don't quite feel that way. Although he's seen scads and scads of women, I'm sure he doesn't fully appreciate the irony of that statement having never actually done it himself.

Lauren and I headed to my appointment and were nearly late due to her having an unusually large appetite right before it was time to leave. Figures. When we finally did get there, we were the top interest of every pregnant mom and expectant grandma in the waiting room. I can distinctly remember being one of those moms, although I was never quite as outgoing as these ladies were. You're sitting there in the midst of this great anticipation, and in walks someone for their post partum checkup with their perfect little bundle, all wrapped up in pink or blue. It was like you could suddenly fully anticipate what your life was going to be like as soon as your baby got here. Everyone wanted to look at her yesterday and they were all asking questions about life with a new baby. I actually found it kind of funny, being that this is our second trip around. All of the things they were asking flashed me right back to being pregnant with Joshua and desperately trying to wrap my head around how things were going to go once he got here. They wanted to know how she ate, how she slept, if she was our first, how I was feeling, how she was delivered. None of which were questions I would I have likely asked a complete stranger in the waiting room of my OB office. But for the 15 minutes or so that we waited, we shared what we could.

Dr. Miller and especially the nurses were quite smitten with Lauren. She didn't give her best performance and, in fact, screamed her brains out the entire time that we were there. She wasn't happy to be sitting in her car seat while I was doing what I had to do. As soon as I picked up the seat and started moving with her, she was fine. Amazingly, amidst the howling, we were able to take care of all the business we needed to.

While all this was going on, Joshua was at home playing with Grandma. His turn to venture out with Mommy alone comes next Tuesday for his 3 yr checkup...wish I had something more fun to offer him. Perhaps I'll come up with an idea between now and then.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments: