Monday, May 3, 2010

Third Annual Cousins' Day

It used to be that Christmas Eve was my all time favorite day of the year, because of these people you see above. Don't get me wrong, it's still high ranking in my favorites, but I've come to appreciate our newfound tradition of Cousins' Day just as much, or maybe even more!

A few years ago (three to be exact), Jason ran with a wish I had spoken out loud one day...to have a day to spend with just my cousins and to have time to sit and talk together without all of the commotion that an entire family party entails. And so, he worked with his partner in crime, my sister, to organize a surprise 30th birthday celebration for me that year. Libby and I took Joshua and went shopping and when we returned, we found all of the cousins on our back patio with food cooked and ready to go. Not only did I get a day to enjoy with my favorite people on the planet, but I didn't have to fret about getting ready for it. What a gift! We had so much fun that day that we decided to make it an annual event. And we've managed to do so for three years running.

When this thing started, Joshua was the only member of the next generation. Brooke was in Libby's tummy. The rest weren't even a thought! And now, to look at the group photo as it gets wider and wider to fit more people and more babies into it, I'm just amazed.

Stacie was our gracious host this year, and she has the most perfect place to hold this kind of gathering. Her screened in porch made a perfect respite from the sun and heat of the day (who'd have imagined high 80's weather on May 1st?) and her front porch made the perfect spot to put a little kiddie pool for the kids to splash in. She had blankets and toys for the little babies on the porch, and Brooke, Josh and Dre just ran around and explored like champs. We of course ate a lot.....the cooking talent seems to have translated to the next generation from our parents....we giggled a bunch, we talked about parenting and silly things that have happened.

We let the kids swim....and let me just say that Lauren did a whole lot better than I would have expected her to. She looked as cute as could be in her watermelon swimming suit and showed off her sitting-up skills quite well. She even practiced her latest trick of pulling up to her knees and then trying to stand! Just about gave Mommy a stroke!






Here are a few of Lauren, Anna and Ridge playing on the blanket. Lauren looks a little concerned....and I think Ridge is saying, "It's cool Lauren....that's just my Mommy taking our picture. She does it to me all the time."


I'm already looking forward to next Cousins' Day! Girls, we're blessed to have each other. And so are our kids. Thanks for all the miles travelled, food cooked, bags packed and work done to make it all happen. Love to you all!

No comments: