Monday, January 3, 2011

Parenting Lesson 2011.1

I had a few good ideas about blog posts for today.  One of them centered around my thoughts about my goals for 2011.  I'm not saying it's a resolution, but just something I'd like to work toward.  But...as life would have it, that wasn't in the cards.

I even thought about just recounting a few things from the weekend.  Like how we un-decked our halls so quickly after having gotten them decked in the first place, or how I enjoyed cleaning the new house over the weekend (sound like a nutcase, don't I?).  But, that wasn't meant to be either.

Instead, I will tell you about the parenting lesson I learned this morning.  Isn't it amazing how our kids are constantly teaching US something when we're trying so desperately to teach THEM how to be good little people and grow up to be responsible, productive members of society?  Well this morning was one of those moments.

Joshua has been so excited to go back to school after his Christmas vacation....er, I mean break.  You see, he was quick to point out to my mom on the phone the other night that it's not vacation when you stay home.  "Vacation is when you go to the beach or something," said our wise four year old.  But he had been talking about how he was anxious to see his friends, and he was actually counting down to the return of school this morning much the same as he had about Santa's arrival on Christmas Eve.  That should be odd except I was the exact same way when I was younger and before the dread of things like Physics and Calculus ruined my positive opinions about school.  I went in to his room to wake him up at 0-dark-thirty this morning, and he started to cough.  That coughing soon turned into gagging, and a little bit of throwing up.  I figured it was a yucky gunk from the cold thing that we've all been fighting with all of our might.  He ate some breakfast and wasn't quite his normal chipper self, but he was still talking about school and I kept battling with myself.  Do I send him?  I figured that if I didn't, it would have just been a fluke thing and he'd be home when he really wanted to be in school....and isn't that what I pay for each month?  And what are the chances that he's going to get to school and end up barfing all over himself and the poor, unsuspecting little child next to him....or worse, the whole POD of unsuspecting adorable little ones?  Back and forth I went about the whole thing, but in the end, when his jelly toast and milk stayed down for the 20 minutes after he finished eating it, I figured it was all systems go.  But as soon as they pulled out of the driveway, I got a feeling that this wasn't going to end well.

Evidently it wasn't the getting-to-school-and-getting-sick thing that did us in.  It was that the chances of him barfing in Daddy's truck were VERY good.  Soon after their departure to school, I saw the truck turn back into the house.  Then came Daddy's mad dash for a roll of paper towels.  And when I got to the truck to view the carnage, I have to tell you, it wasn't good.

Joshua spent his day at home today resting and watching probably a billion and one superhero cartoons on TV.  Doesn't sound like a bad day if the spewing wasn't an issue.

And so parenting lesson 2011.1 is recorded.  Follow your gut when it comes to puking.

The end.

And to help remove the throwing up images from your mind, here are a few pictures from the weekend.  You're welcome.
Joshua in one of his favorite positions, lounging on the chair-and-a-half and watching a Superhero show.  Lauren is rooting through his toys without her pants.  Again.  I don't understand it.
And here's Joshua's OTHER favorite spot in the house, at the island playing with things that Lauren can't reach.  I have to give him points for creative problem solving.

And one to giggle about.  This was Lauren's hair-do when she woke up on Saturday morning.  I have to admit that I left it that way for a while because I thought she was adorable.   It was fitting of her normally wild attitude.

No comments: