Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Feeling back to "normal"...

Even though last week's surgery was officially my third c-section, I am continually amazed by the fact that you can be literally sawed in half and within one week feel as though nothing ever happened.  Recovery has been just as smooth this time as it was the last two, helped along by resting and Advil and trying to listen to my discharge instructions.  Although Jason will tell you I've been sliding a little bit on the "following orders" thing in the last two days.  The idea of not lifting anything heavier than the baby is a little impractical, in my opinion, so I have on a few occasions lifted Lauren into or out of her high chair and have carried a laundry basket of the kids' clothes downstairs.  My rule is that if it hurts, I stop.  So far so good.

Today was really the first day that I would say I feel "good"-- but each day since Thursday has gotten progressively better in just about every way.  Saturday was rough-- ask my Mom and Jason how long it took me to get up off of the couch on Saturday afternoon after we got home from the hospital.  But each day since has been better and better.  Now if I could only get the OK to drive sooner than next Thursday...

Today was a good day.  We managed to get laundry done and finally put away upstairs.  I finally got the pile of hospital stuff put away and in its rightful spot in Mara's room.  We made a meal plan and a grocery list, and Jason (bless his heart) braved Walmart to search for all sorts of things, and did so with a very good spirit.  Have I mentioned how wonderful he has been through the past week's events?  I even celebrated not being gestational diabetic anymore by baking a homemade banana bread for the kids at their request, as well as the pan of Rice Krispie Treats that I was scheduled to make last Thursday night for Joshua to take to school for a friend's birthday treat.  We cooked a real dinner, cleaned it up and now are settled in for the evening, trying to gain our strength for the bathtime, pajama, snacks and bedtime marathon.

Mara's eating is still a challenge.  She will not nurse for anything--- and trust me when I say I have tried quite literally everything.  Even the lactation consultant is stumped.  Mara is so much like Joshua was.  The only difference is that I am much calmer and more experienced now, and although I continue to pump for her, I have supplemented with formula feedings and will continue to do so until she either decides that she remembers how to nurse or my supply goes to the point that pumping is a moot point.  Her jaundice is clearing, thank goodness, so I know we've done what we needed to do for the sake of her health, and honestly, that's all that matters to me.  Am I disappointed that we're struggling-- I can't even begin to tell you how I feel about it.  But as a wise friend told me, maybe Mara is writing her own story here.  It remains to be seen, but I do feel as though I've done all I can do and now the rest is up to her and our teamwork together.  Regardless, we'll move forward with whatever happens and make the best of it.

We are looking very forward to a visit from Aunt Libby tomorrow.  Joshua is beside himself at the idea that she might be able to be along when he gets picked up from school.  Secretly I'm thrilled at the idea of getting out of the house, even if it is for the 10 mile trip to Meadowbrook and back.

Enough of the ramblings for now... On to the pictures!

 This was Mara's position while I worked in the kitchen this afternoon.  Believe it or not, she's so good that I actually have to remind myself that she's there!

  And below is what the others were doing--- dressing up as "superheroes" and fighting crime all over the house.  They played so nicely (most of the time).  The living room was a total disaster, but cleaning it up was totally worth it for the fun that they had together.  They have been such great kids as we have transitioned into life with the new baby.  I could not be more proud of them both.


Two posts in a row is almost a miracle for me lately.  Let's see what tomorrow brings!

No comments: